I am sick and tired of all the "Bangaloreans" whining about the culture degradation and population and pollution and bla bla bla.. For Christ's sake, will you can it already and find it in your brain (no matter how remote) to channel some rationalism?
My entire life, I have never stayed in one place. My father was in the Army and I moved a lot. A LOT! I never had a real home. I made home wherever I was. I never had a problem adjusting to the people and picking up languages. I never felt out of place. I always felt at home. Because everywhere I went, it was my COUNTRY. And no North Indian was biased against me because I was a South Indian (or what they like to call "Madrasis"). That never got in my way because I always found a way to prove I was good (I don't mean to sound pompous. But you have to understand the pressure of constant change and coping and getting people to accept you).
But you know where I have felt the most out of place? In my own part of the country. South India. Bangalore.
When I moved to Bangalore, I always thought of this place where no one will feel out of place. Because there are all kinds of people here. It was thought of as a veritable melting-pot; of cultures, languages and people (Indians and expatriates). It symbolised all the true shades of secularism, not just its literal religious implications.
I know 4 year isn't a very long time to say much about a place. But I do know when an attitude starts to stink. It takes no time to realize that!
When people cried "culture degradation", I admit that most educated people realised it was all a political gimmick. But can someone "cultured" tell me which part of our culture professes beating up women? In my opinion, all the inflow of culture and ideas has only made the stand of the WOMAN in the India, stronger. Uneducated minions of political buffoons (like Muthalik), the whole lot have the IQ of a fly. They can never begin to understand what a powerful woman is. They never got slapped hard enough by their mommies when they were little. Let me point out that retaliation for the whole episode was started by a NON-Bangalorean. Nisha Susan, a journalist form New Delhi.
Then people cried "population". So can someone please tell me who opened the gates of Bangalore to let in the Conglomerates and MNCs? Im sorry, I don't have the intelligence to match the great economically driven Governments. Oh wait a sec!! I do have a little intelligence. So the answer is - The Government. When they wanted people to work for the BIG companies, who gave them the OK to bring people in? The Government. When the State was rolling in money and middle class ruled, who clapped their hands? The Government and WE ALL DID. But when the city couldnt take its explosion anymore, what did the geniuses in The Government do? They sent hooligans to beat up anyone who didn't speak Kannada and stood outside a club (which by the way, they gave the permit to run). And made the outsiders look like the culprits. I heard this somewhere and i think it holds true here - "The Devil's biggest trick was to convince the world he didn't exist". BUT HE DOES. And he is in all those who point fingers at others for mistakes they didn't anticipate.
Then the people cried "language". Kannada. I have a lot of respect for all who speak the language. And as I said earlier, I have always been in places where I did have to learn the language of the state. I have done it before. I'm doing it now. But when will the people learn to respect their country's national language. Hindi. I accuse all states who haven't made the effort to learn it. And all people who condemn it. I am an Indian before I am a Tamilian or Kannadiga or Malayalee or Bihari or whatever. And I wish people would realise that. I am scared to speak in Hindi to an autowala for fear of which one will turn back and start lecturing me on how outsiders have ruined their city.
Then the people cried "pollution". Which city in the world isn't battling pollution? But its the choices we make that makes the difference. We live in a big BIG city. And getting around is hard. No one wants to take public transport because of its sorry state. Everyone has a bike or a car. But our choices affects the environment. My friends made fun of me when I spoke of buying the Tata Nano. Its a brilliant car, efficient design and effective in terms of mileage and exhaust. But everyone wants the Big car with the muscle and close to nothing mileage.
If I didn't have the job I have now(Thanks to the MNCs) and sat at home all day, I would never have come to Bangalore to degrade their culture and add to their population and made money (for me and them). If I don't have the money, I wouldn't plan on buying the big car which added to the pollution. So there you go! The answer to all your problems is... a screeching Economic halt. (Drum rolls please! We have a eureka moment here! )
But wait a sec, people still want the money! What a pickle! (Stop the Drum rolls!)
This city is a tiny little speck in a huge country called India. And I support whatever steps we must take to make this city better. But if someone points a finger and says "Outsiders are the problem", then that's no lesser than any other form of racial terrorism. I'm an part of the problem just as much as the next guy. My life is just as difficult. But I do not agree with this whole new way of breaking the whole country up into little pieces in the name of culture, language, and whatever other criteria they can come up with. This is my way of speaking up. I have put it out there on the internet as a record.
I will not kiss Bangalore's butt JUST because im not from here. I will call a spade, a spade! I am presently a part of this city and cannot contribute to the solution for the city if people like me are treated as part of the problem (Added after comment from "Bangalore Resident" who clearly missed my point)
This little excerpt from the book "A Thing Beyond Forever" by Novoneel Chakraborty will probably sum up the "Outsider" perspective better than anything I have said before:
A conversation between an MBA and a 'struggling actor'. The MBA advises the struggler to first get a job and this is what the actor replies:
"Have you ever seen a star studded sky?
Why, yes.
You may like the star just above your head or the one in the right or to the left perhaps but you got no right to question why the star to the left is in the left.
I believe the point of our living is to find the coordinates where we know we belong and respect it irrespective of whatever difficulties or humiliation we encounter."
P.S: If you are reading this sentence, Thanks for sticking around and listening! :)
Friday, April 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I don't see a point in screaming against bangalore or "bangaloreans" as you refer. I totaly disagree with the points you have made.
"Then the people cried "pollution". Which city in the world isn't battling pollution?" this is the most irresponsible statement I have heard.
I think its our responsibility to protect nature and what we have, I was travelling in BMTC bus the driver who was from chennai was feeling sorry for whats happening to bangalore, he was so responsible to drive the bus to the left and so decongesting the traffic, He was also referring to the current state lalbhag and cubboon park. The point he was trying to make is let the BMRCL construction take place, but high salaried class ppl due to their fancies will not take that. That increases the number of cars as ppl realise middle class people use BMRCL. This is the situation, which all inhabitants of bangalore, living or working should understand and be responsible (Bows to the driver).
"I will not kiss Bangalore's butt because im not from here." no idea, your home is the place you live if you don't honor it, better be where you want to be
Dear Bangalore Resident,
First i must apologise for a minor grammatical error:
"I will not kiss Bangalore's butt because im not from here"
should have been
"I will not kiss Bangalore's butt JUST because im not from here" Im just as much a part of this city as you are. But i do not appreciate being treated differently.
And you missed my whole point. As sorry as i feel for the city, im enraged at the differential treatment for ones who are not from here. How will we be part of the solution if we are treated as part of the problem?
And last of all, i thank you for your insightful repetition of sentences from my blog and ignoring the explanation.
My problem is not with the city. Its with the attitude this city has towards outsiders.
Clearly my point hasnt been driven home. Other wise, you would have left your anonymous name as "Indian Resident"
Thank you for reading :)
lol. blog full of attitude, who is stopping you from contributing to the solution? Were you part of human chain in lalbhag? who is treating you differently? our volvos have numbers written in english not written in telegu or hindi or tamil or malayalam!
Respect home, improve the place you stay you inter imporve your country! Indian it seems.. checkout who is talking. One indian writing about the city which pays her!
Dear Bangalore resident,
"One indian writing about the city which pays her"
I dont know if you realised it. But you just proved my point about this city's attitude towards "Outsiders".
again, Thank you! :)
P.S: Dont let your BP shoot up.
[I am sick and tired of all the "Bangaloreans" whining about ...]
I am afraid, and I am sorry to say that, the very blog I am reading about is nothing more than the “’Bangaloreans’ whining”(which is what the blog is trying to say) . Also, by the author’s own admission of not being from Bangalore and hasn't seen much of Bangalore for long, but has the audacity to comment (or whine??) on the city without much knowledge.
[But you know where I have felt the most out of place?....]
Probably the author forgot about the native culture, which again explains all the whining and cribbing directed against the
“Bangaloreans”. Amazing, COUNTRY is what comes first to the author, but is talking about “Bangaloreans”, the North Indians and the South Indians most of the times (in the blog)!!
[I know 4 year isn't a very long time to say much about a place...]
Four years is actually a lot of time to get to know a city’s culture and align themselves with the same, if the author still
hasn’t been able to do that, then again, I can only conclude the author as a misfit, which again explains the amount of 'whining'/'cribbing' from the author in this blog.
[Then the people cried pollution..]
Population is and will be a problem! If the author can’t quite think about problems arising from population, probably the author should go about doing the homework properly before writing about it. Also, I have never seen anybody complaining about population being the cause to all these other "problems" that the author is trying to highlight.
[My friends made fun of me when I spoke of buying the Tata Nano....]
I agree with the author on this sole point. Nano is the way to go for cities in India where infrastructure is limited.
Bangalore is an example. Maybe, Bangalore can even set an example. The Author is extending a step forward in contributing to
the solution. So “Bangalorean”, and each and every Indian, then “Bangalorean”, stop whining about the city you dwell in and go forward!!!, Shall we!!!
[I am presently a part of this city and cannot contribute to the solution ...]
The author is mistaken to the core, I am afraid. Nobody, I repeat nobody is stopping the author from contributing to the solution. As I see, the inability to actually act on/cope up with the problems, is making the author frustrated about it. Again, taking an example from this very blog, that the retaliation to one of those problems/situations, came from an outsider journalist, a NON Bangalorean (author’s own choice of words), and it was very well taken.
Bangalore residentI hear all you have to say. Even heard the parts where you called me a misfit and frustrated and other such colourful names/adjectives.
But it still does not change the way i feel. And I'm afraid you will never quite understand it. There will never be smoke without fire. If you can try, you can probably imagine a scenario where one is faced with remarks and actions from friends and strangers on an almost daily basis.
I know i should not repeat this publicly, but a close friend of mine recently said this while complaining about the Lalbagh and Nanda roads tree cutting issue:
"Got used to the amazing number of people who came down to bangalore from all over the country.
At any point in time I hear any language other than kannada being spoken around me. Got used to it."
Got used to it? What does that really mean? and what was the point of that if it didnt mean anything? I know you didnt say it. I know your friends probably dont say such things. Only my friend can answer why it was said.
It wasn't directly to me. But it was directed to people like me. Which in turn includes me. Inspite of me having vocally objected(on many previous occasions and to many different people) on the logical futility of such statements, they keep coming up.
And I dont like it. Hence the entry here. It was not based on my "knowledge" but my "experience".
I do understand the native land and the people here. I have made the effort to learn the language and understand it when someone says something in the native language here.
My point this whole time was not the problems or the city or the people. My point is that everytime a crisis happens in the city, we invariably get to hear comments like "people have come from all over the country and ruined it" or "they have come and ruined our culture"
I am a law abiding, tax-paying, environment friendly and neighbour friendly person.
I only resent the invisible finger being pointed at people like me.
Also, the whole point of my entry was to stop all the whining. Period.
My life here is good. I live a comfortable life and deal with the daily issues with no complaint. I went into so much detail to explain all this to you so you can see this one ugly side of life I get to see here. You may not see it. But its there. And no matter how many paragraphs you write about all the things you think are wrong about my opinion, it still doesnt change the fact that the "invisible finger" exists.
And it is exactly that. An opinion! There may be thousands more on the same issue. We may or may not subscribe to it. But that should not be a criteria to discount its credibility.
I am afraid this entire exercise has failed its purpose.
If you will, please do not resort to judgmental personal names and remarks. It is very unbecoming of any author. You know very little about me. And most of it from this one blog.
Post a Comment