Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Recession

I sit at a desk right outside the cabin of the VP of my company's development division in India. And from yesterday, I have been watching people come and take a seat on the couch outside his cabin and wait for him see them. I didn't realise what was happening yesterday because of earphones and work.

Today morning I was told that 18 people were laid off yesterday from my facility. And that just on one floor. Some of whom I had said hi to just that morning while at breakfast.

I know that recession has been on for a while and that people have been losing jobs worldwide.
But it hit me only today!

Another guy, all teary faced, came and took a seat on the couch today.

And now, courtesy my damned seating location, I'm getting a front row view of the panic and fear and sadness on the faces of the people who were unfortunate enough to be called to the VP's cabin. Only to be escorted out of the building soon after like a felon.

I grew up as an Army child. And the only time I have ever heard of anyone being escorted out that disgracefully, is when they have been courtmarshalled. If you have preformed a serious and criminal offense against the Govt or people of India.

What's the average software engineer's or person's crime? Working their asses off to please often unpleasant superiors?

I don't like Corporations and I don't like it when deserving people get fired. I especially don't like my seat..

No comments: