Me: So who all at this table are malyalees? (Trying to be funny and with my my brighest smile.. even though i have slept less than 8 hours in the last 48 hours)
SAM: Avoids full eye contact and points meekly at 2 other folks at the table and himself.
Me: Which part of Kerala are u from?
SAM: (Looks at me like I asked him in Greek.) Myself from Chennai. Parents originally from Kerala and now settled in Chennai.
FULLSTOP. (I wish there was a capital letter for . )
So much for dinner time conversation.
Please take a moment to applaud his grammar. His English teacher will choke with pride!
Crazy Egyptian Incident
Crazy Egyptian is the dude in charge and his only responsibility during this entire duration is to furrow his brows and ask questions that noone responds to. But seriously, the furrowing of the brow!! And as soon as there is a problem, his eyes get all squinty and and his brows start furrowing really deep. So much that I genuinely believe that he has bone structure jutting out of his forehead. Like 2 furrow horns.
So anyway, my teammates and I are walking back from the cafeteria and chatting about something in English.
This dude is walking right behind, catches up with us and says, "One day I'm gonna get all my Egyptian friends and start talking to them in Arabic and then we'll see how you feel".
Reaction from the 3 of us: Blink. Blink. Blink. Walk away puzzled.
We were talking in English!
Oh Oh.. and I should mention the part about the handshaking. I want you to do this for you to understand. Go to your kitchen and shake hands with a slice of bread! That's how weird it was!
Polite American incident
This is not so much an incident as it is an experience. Always smiles and stops to say hello, passes the water, makes easy chatter, and does not treat me differently just because I'm the only girl in a team of .. oh.. I dunno.. a 100 men!! But then again, its not surprising considering most Americans are like that.
A country full of silly Malyalees and bizarre arabs!
2 comments:
Lol,so you are saying you prefer the americans over the arabs and mallus :P.
Psssst:Any cute phirangs?;)
maybe you're experiencing some of that famous 'southern hospitality'. Is that dude from the southern part of the USA? Those people are super polite
-Gautam
Post a Comment