Thursday, January 18, 2007

Desire Vs Morals

I believe that all people are constitutionally good.. that their foundation is morally sound. but every now and then we face situations when we want something so badly that we ignore all the moral science lessons from school...all that our elders tell us about being righteous and being fair to everyone goes out the window.

Its not that they are bad or have no values.. its just that impulse and desire to get what they want takes over so strongly that one would go to any lengths to go get it. Any means necessary are taken. So does that move made on an impulse brand them as ethically unsound.. unvirtuous??

Who decides what we do as right or wrong? the society? our parents? or school moral science teacher? Our scriptures? or us.. our inner voice? I want to think thats its our inner voice.. but what influences our soul?..this inner voice .. i have been told that a large part of this influence comes from the way we have been brought up..our culture..our surroundings.I agree with what has been told to me so far because i have not heard a more convincing explanation yet. So if you really think about it, its a full circle.

But doesnt that make you wonder why so many people go astray..why the crime rates still continue to increase and why people still cheat and lie?

Generically speaking.. almost all of us are from the same culture..no matter what language we speak or which state we belong to. All parents hope to see their children grow up to be law abiding, ethical citizens of a country. Then where do things go wrong?

The Bible says that if you are righteous and virtuous, then you will go to heaven.. otherwise you will be sent to hell.. Other scriptures speak on similar lines. The Law says that if you abide by the rules, then you can lead a free life .. otherwise you will be sent to jail.. Since most of the population is broadly classified under two categories- The God fearing and the Atheists.. Whatever anyone may chose to be.. the above two statements should ideally deter them from doing anything sinful or illegal. Yet, there are exceptions, the ones who choose to defy all that is right and just, the antisocial elements of society. Where does their inner voice go? Why do they do what they do.. I refuse to believe that they were born bad apples..but how did they become rotten?

What if i do something that does not harm anybody materially, to achieve that which gives me happiness. Does it make me a bad person because for once i put myself before others? Because for once i put preference to my personal good before the common good.. for once i decided not to be a saint? Just because we are expected to be one at all times.. we put up a facade. It makes me feel like i'm cheating everyone more than ever because every cell in me wants something else and i'm doing something that is politically and ethically correct because i'm expected to do so.

So bottom line is.. When i do the right thing, i'm cheating everyone because i'm putting up a facade thereby making me feel guilty. And when i do what my heart desires, everyone else thinks im a cheat thereby making me feel guilty all over again.

The difference in guilt, as i see it, in the two cases is that in the first case, im not being honest with myself or anyone else. In the second case i am being honest about what i really want with myself and with everyone else. End result is the same. Free will has just died.. under moral obligations.

As i understand it, you can never do anything as you please to because at some point or other your decisions affect and influence others. And if there is the slightest possibility that it may cause heartache or loss or even a sneeze.. you have to rollback everything that you planned. Becuase you are a good person.. because you have ethics.. because you cannot break their heart.. But what about "your" heart?

4 comments:

Swetha said...

**bows**:)**bows**

I loved the way you had written it the 1st time i read it. I am glad you decided to put it in your blog!

I don't know the answers to your questions but most of the times the feeling of "Oh, others would/might have felt bad" eats me up. I usually have no peace of mind because of that. So I decide to step back sometimes. But I guess each of us have a different view!!!

RK said...

Swetha:
Stepping back is what most of us do..
maybe we should make a rule: for every 5 times that i step back.. il will step ahead once.. :D
*Conditions Apply :)

Anonymous said...

I guess thats a million dollar question.I have often wondered as to who decides whats wrong and whats right?No matter what you do,there will always be a percentage of ppl saying "That was wrong"....If you go by what public says we will end up as nutcases!!!So I guess its just our inner voice and conscience that we should listen to....
P.S:Sometimes no harm in being a bit selfish:D:D....We are not saints!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I was recently wondering about a similar thing "Are humans generally good and occasionally do bad things or vice versa."

Morality is a very vague subject. It varies from cultures to places to people. Most people just choose to make sure their moral values are aligned with the society's. I would personally consider doing something which is immoral to me but moral to others as a crime. But its a larger fact that the other way round is actually called a crime.

I guess the eventual effort would be to concentrate on things which are moral to both yourself and others and clearly avoid the other things. But you hv got to remember that morality does not always survive generations... you can be branded as a immoral person right now but your ideas might pave the way for the foundations of the future generations.

What I truly believe is that you should never compromise your values for others. You might hurt a few ppl along the way but its far more important to hv respect from the one thing you will carry all your life - your conscious.